Monday, April 9, 2012

What We Can Expect From K-Pop in the Year Ahead

There is just a overwhelming flood of new rookie artists entering the K-pop industry. I've listened to almost all of the new music, and I'm noticing a pattern among rookies. So here's what I think you'll see in the very near future.

1. LOTS AND LOTS OF DUB STEP
It started with the Europeans, and now it's made it's way to Korea. No, I'm not talking about hip hop, not pop, not classical. I'm talking about Electronic music. If I had a dime for every time I heard a dub step break in a song, I would be rich. Rookie groups like Nu'est, B1A4, and EXO use plenty of dub step. Even older K-pop groups are following the trend (i.e. Miss A, SNSD, and Big Bang). With that said, expect lots and lost of dub step, because it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

2. THE DARK SIDE
I am sad to say that the Era of Bubblegum K-Pop has come to an end; or rather maybe it's making its gradual descent. What happened to the music like Gee? Or Beautiful Target? It seems that everyone is going to....dudududuuuu the Dark Side! Don't get me wrong, I like the dark side. It's edgy and cool. The new wave of edgy/Gothic styles is probably due to the industry trying to break the mold to eradicate the stereotype that K-pop is all sugar-coated pop music. I'm super glad that the industry is making an effort to evolve and experiment, but I can't help but miss the cute image, i.e. vibrant clothes and the colorful background and the cheesy music videos! This is what I was introduced to, and it's what I love about K-pop. But hey, I'm a flexible person, so if K-pop decides to stick with the dark/ punk side,  I'll grab my metallic leather jacket and welcome it with open arms (but I'll still watch old videos of Shinee on the side).

3. SAY HELLO TO ENGLISH
Since SNSD, Big Bang, and Super Junior, among others, have been making ;loads of progress in America, it's not a surprise that more and more K-pop groups are incorporating more English in their music. I think it's wonderful that companies are really going great lengths to add English subs, and put English raps to reach a wider audience, however; they probably should get English translators first, because not everybody in America is accustomed to K-Pop and their broken, nonsensical English.

4. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
K-pop continually evolves and it's easy to see that companies, and producers are experimenting with new and different concepts all the time. So far, the supernatural and metallic stuff is latest trend, but I can't possibly imagine what's next! After Big Bang's Fantastic Baby, and EXO's MAMA, I don't know what to expect except for the unexpected. The K-pop industry has already shown that they're not afraid to go beyond boundaries and try new things, so for all the Netizens out there, all I can say is: have an open mind and be prepared, because you'll never know what K-pop has in store.

-A

No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall