Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dream High 2: Episode 13 Review

What a wonderful wake up call.
Yes, I know. Dream High 2 is over, but it's not over for me. I've been stuck at episode 13 for a while, and I finally took the time to sit down and watch it. So, if you've seen it already, it's all good. You don't have read to this. Besides, it's mostly my opinion on the episode, plus I just like writing reviews in general. As a side note; I might be a little critical about Dream High 2.

Dream High 2 is like a patchwork quilt made of really good patches and really sucky patches. This episode so far, has been a pretty good patch, and I actually like Rian in this episode. I despised her character (not Jiyeon), since episode 1. She's what I like to call a Blair Waldorf: a privileged, insecure  girl with a difficult past, and a princess attitude with a good side buried underneath. Even though I didn't like her character, I knew that Rian always had the potential to be good, but why did it have to take 13 episodes to fully show this!! Nonetheless, I loved her Bad Girl, Good Girl attitude here (pun intended); she was sassy, more sure of herself and she has shown some legitimate compassion towards her peers. I especially like her relationship with Yoo Jin; it's cute and entertaining to watch Rian's more playful side of her. I'm (sniffle) proud of her.  
Yoo Jin! Why you so cute?! JB! Stop lying to yourself
and change your hair!!! Right Now!

Now, where is that Kirin necklace when you need it? While Rian is rising above, JB has reached an all time low beginning with his hair. It's always the hair. His dark locks reflect his dark mood. It's like he's got a perpetual rain cloud following him wherever he goes, and its hard to pity or sympathize with him. Instead I'd rather bonk him on the head because all you want is for him to go back to the old JB (and his hair too, please). 


Also, while I'm at it, let me commend Shin Hye Sung and Yoo Jin. Shin Hye Sung finally stands up for herself! She's not the pathetic girl we once knew; she totally told off some girls who were giving her a hard time about dating JB. Maybe Rian's confidence is rubbing off on everybody, because then Yoo Jin enters the scene and he decides to confess to Hye Sung! This takes a lot of courage on his part, but not only this, I hope this humbled Yoo Jin a bit, because despite his good looks, his character can be quite full of himself sometimes, especially when it comes to Hye Sung. I'm not sure where the writers will go with Yoo Jin, because he's going great lengths to try to impress Hye Sung by getting out of his comfort zone and signing the contract with the president. Personally, I have a bad feeling about this, but I feel that this will also show a more vulnerable side of Yoo Jin's character that will help him grow. 
Sniffle..It's for your own good. 


Even better, Hye Sung breaks up with JB,. Half of you are saying yay, while the others say boo. I think Hye Sung is feeling the pressure of being with JB. I think since JB and Rian have so much history and there's so much tension that makes me think JB and Rian are probably endgame. 


The last thing I want to comment about is the slow progression of character development. All of characters including Ailee,  Nana,  Seul, etc, have specific personalities that make them stand out and each of them have their own unique back stories. I wanted to see more of this and their relationships and hardships, because it is a bit tiring to watch the JB, Yoo Jin, Hye Sung, Rian love rectangle after a while. Mostly, I'm worried that with the three episodes I have left to see, this might not be enough to show the character's growth and change, all while resolving and wrapping up the main conflicts. Korean dramas always seem to wait till around the end of a drama to squeeze everything in, so I only hope that the next few episodes wrap it up to a close with a pretty bow. 


-A


Sorry If there weren't enough pictures; I couldn't find very many.


*All credits belong to their rightful owners*




No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall