Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Hallyu Wave Travels to Japan/ SNSD"s Time Machine Review

In a recent article by Time Magazine (which you can check out here), I saw our fellow K-pop kings, Big Bang, grace the pages. While I was uber excited about them getting more publicity internationally, the article helped me come to the realization that K-Pop groups put a lot of emphasis on targeting their Japanese audience. I usually don't pay any mind to Japanese related K-pop stuff because I figured they're probably just promoting their same title track, except this time just in Japanese, but recently, I noticed a lot of original, sung-in-Japanese songs by our beloved K-pop Idols. So, just for the heck of it, I'm gonna review some of the latest Japanese singles beginning with SNSD's Time Machine.
If I had only to use one word to describe this song, it would be: mellow. Once again, I've come across another ballad, but I really liked the melody. Both the music video and the song have an almost ethereal feel. As for the technical aspects of the song, I don't have much to comment on other than that Time Machine really showcases the singers of SNSD. I usually don't look up the translation of songs, but I was decidedly curious about the lyrics. According to the lyrics,  Sunny, Seohyun, Tiffany, Jessica and Taeyeon sang most of the verses, while Yuri, Yoona, Sooyoung, and Hyoyeon joined in at the chorus. Honestly, I'm not really concerned with this; rather I'm more concerned about the song itself. Normally, I don't care if a K-Pop song has terrible English, or if the music videos make no sense, or what  weird clothes they wear, I just care about the song. I put the needs of my ears before my eyes, because it's not all about looks for me. With this said, not only is the melody amazingly beautiful, so are the lyrics. There aren't any smatterings of broken English with the exception of some redundant phrases ("got a one regret"). Everything works in the right context, and the I love the way the Japanese language sounds. Their vocals project lots of emotion that add some depth to the song. It makes you forget that these are the same girls that   "Brought the Boys out". 
As for the meaning of the song, it's about how a girl made a one mistake that resulted in the separation with her boyfriend? Lover? Husband? Either way,  she wishes that she could take a time machine and travel back in time so she could fix said mistake, but her punishment is to live without him and wallow in her guilt. Rather than analyze the whole song, check it out for yourself. My favorite verses are highlighted. 

Alone in this slightly wide room unlike always
It’s over, guess it’s over
The story that we made went in vain
[We] fell apart this easily


One mistake, got a one regret
“No one’s perfect”
Even if I tried saying that,
Whatever I do, the wounds can’t heal


I’m going to embark on a time machine
If I would be able to go meet you again
I wouldn’t ask for more
Before it becomes a distant fleeting memory
I need a time machine oh
I need a time machine oh


The time I’m passing by alone is too slow
[This] mistake’s punishment is too heavy
The words that you last left
Up to now is replaying continuously
My heart still hurts


Just one mistake, just one regret
It’s selfish but it’s because love you
I’m going to embark on a time machine
If I would be able to go meet you again
I wouldn’t ask for more
Before it becomes a distant fleeting memory


I need a time machine
If I can jump through time and space and be able to meet you
Say, even if [we] come to the same conclusion,
there wouldn’t be any regrets for sure.
I’m going to embark on a time machine
If I would be able to go meet you again
I wouldn’t ask for more


Before it becomes a distant fleeting memory
Before our memories are forgotten
Gimme a time machine oh
Gimme a time machine oh
Gimme a time machine
*Lyrics belong to rightful owners*



Also, I'm really pleased with the music video. While the song Time Machine showcases the singers of SNSD, the music video makes up for this by giving Sooyoung, Yoona, Hyoyeon and Yuri more screen time. This theme and the vibe of the music video is similar to that of IU's whimsical, and fantastical mv's like You and I. (So expect a lot of clocks.) Plus I love the fashion! They don't look overdone, and they're each dressed differently to express their individual style/character. Each style matched each member, but my least favorite was Sunny's look; her outfit looked more like a stage outfit for The Boys, thus it didn't really go with the concept. (I believe a  trench coat would suffice).  All of them looked stunning, but I was soo glad to see Hyoyeon's outfit. It was very fashion forward, and it's so much better than some of the ridiculous stuff she wore in previous music videos. My other comment is on the acting; SNSD expressed their emotion very well, but what I can't fathom is how Koreans manage to cry with only ONE teardrop. This I could never do. So, I applaud thee! Also, I don't think Koreans ever get cold either. I mean, Yoona was running on a frozen sidewalk. In a dress. Without a sweater. Either it's fake snow, or Yoona has skin made of thermal wear!
 Now my biggest complaint, if any, is the introduction to the song. The actual song starts playing at the 1:42 mark. The first time around it's fun to watch, but I don't recommend putting this on a YouTube playlist if you want to wait 1 minute for the song to start. (Plus, a phone continually rings during the introduction so it's a tad annoying). 
Ring Ding Dong! Ring Ding Di Di Di Ding!
Overall...wonderful song! SNSD's Japanese songs, or at least the ones that I've heard, rarely dissapoint. Time Machine being one of them. 

-A

*All pictures and credits belong to their rightful owners*


No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall