Thursday, June 21, 2012

Electric Shock- F(x) MV Review


The Girls are Back! 


I was beginning to think that SM forgot about them. I don't usually listen to F(x), but I always give their title tracks at least one listen through. First of all, the song is super catchy, because the first thing you hear is this powerful, stomp-your-feet beat and the song hooks you in with upbeat electronic elements, not unlike their other songs. With that said, I think Electric Shock sounds too similar to their other songs. While continuity is a good thing, I think F(x) has already established their style with Nu Abo and Danger, so I expected something different, especially with their eccentric teaser images. But then again, it's SM we're talking about, so the teasers don't usually reflect what the actual concept is, either that or it's pretty vague. Which reminds me, why is their album cover animal heads? My hipster side likes it, but it has nothing to do with "Electric Shock" or anything techy at all. Ok, I'm getting off track here...back to the music video!

Despite the weird concept stuff, I really do like the music video. I particularly liked the opening setting with the pink framework stacked like blocks surging with pink neon lights. The whole music video looked liked they were trapped in a computer, which I thought was pretty cool, and not an animal head in sight. 

As for their style, there were pops of bright pastels instead of neon colors (very much appreciated and very in style), and they were rocking those platform shoes. Of course, there's always one member that gets a drastic hair cut; in this case, Victoria! Honestly, I'm not too crazy about the blonde hair, but I always figured that every idol goes through a blonde phase at least once. However; I definitely liked Luna's longer hair.

Plus, I gotta comment on the eye contacts. At first they were very startling, because they jump out at you! (whoa! 3d!) But then it begins to grow on you. Eye contacts are so strange and interesting at the same time that you can't help but look at it again, and it matched the whole electric concept.


And you know what else matches the electric concept? They're lyrics! Yes! Their lyrics actually make sense! Albeit, it's lyrics about getting entranced by a guy's charms so you're in "shock" because you like him a lot, which was completely different from what I initially thought: aliens! Just kidding, actually I was thinking of a party theme or something, but then again I don't think you would bring a taser to a party nonetheless defibrillators, unless someone, you know...had a heart failure, then I guess it could come in handy.

Now the only thing that really bugged me about this music video were the ads! GRRR! When i was watching it, I joyfully moved my mouse to the "X" button, but wait - there isn't an "X" sign. Then you feel frustrated! It's really stupid, because you're already waiting to press the "Skip Ad" before the music video even starts! SM when will your annoying, unnecessary marketing strategies end?! Huh?
Lastly, I want to mention how much I loved F(x)'s facial expressions, especially Sulli and Victoria's. You can tell that they have a lot of natural aegyo. Amber also got a lot of singing lines in this song too, so I was really pleased because she has really strong singing voice too.   Sure I expected more from F(x) especially after a long hiatus, but at least they did a good job with their concept, and next time we’ll see if there really are animal heads!


-A


*All credits including pictures and videos belong to their rightful owners*

No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall