Tuesday, July 17, 2012

List of Favorite Rappers

K-Pop is not confined solely to just Pop; rather, K-Pop is what I call a colloquial term used to call, not describe, Korean Music. So, there is Korean Hip Hip, Techno, Rock, Indie etc. Thus, I would like to think that I'm a fan of Korean Hip Hop. Ironically, I am not a fan of American Hip Hop or rappers, but give me any Korean rapper any day. That does not mean to say that I'm biased; American and Korean Hip Hop have distinctive sounds; thus I'm drawn to the Korean sound. So, while I'm not an expert of this genre nor do I listen to Korean Hip Hop groups very often, but I do have a list of my favorite rappers, albeit,  mostly rappers from K-Pop groups. Hehehe

(These aren't in any specific order)

1. Epik High
I recently started listening to this group, I like their sound, and while I may not always agree or have an opinion about the themes in their music, I like the fact that their raps are creative and full of substance and meaning. 
2. Tablo
Is it any surprise that I like Tablo, after I just said I liked Epik High? I love Tablo, for the same reason why I like Epik High; the lyrics! Tablo writes amazing songs, favorites of mine include Tomorrow and Bad. Plus the sound is really unique and his raps aren't harsh...but his attitude and emotion are enough to express his songs perfectly.
3. Eunhyuk 
Yes, I know what you're thinking, she's just a biased fan girl. In this case, that's partly true, but I honestly do think that Eunhyuk is a good rapper, but I know that he's not the best. I am drawn to the sound of his rapping, and I love the way he raps because it always exudes charisma.
4. Mir
Rain taught him well, because I love Mir's stage presence and charisma when he raps.  He knows when to stress syllables at the right times bringing energy, swag, confidence, power, you name it. Whenever I listen to an MBLAQ song, I always anticipate Mir's raps.
5. Dongwoo
Dongwoo, by far, is one of my favorite rappers. While every rapper should comprise of good stage prescene, charimsa, etc, Dongwoo has all of that and more.  I love the uniqueness of his voice that I cannot describe.  Oh, did I forget to mention that he sings!? Well, he does, and that's kind of uncommon; a rapper that can rap and sing. 
6. Baro 
This cutie is also up there with Dongwoo. Don't be fooled by his cute/squirrely appearance, for his deep and powerful voice can pack a punch. His voice sounds rich and warm (like chocolate!), which always contrasts well in B1A4's songs, in a good way of course. It's this trait that minimizes and balances the other members sweet vocals, so they're songs aren't just straight out sugary pop. Plus, he composes some of his raps, himself, which is always a good thing in my book.
7. G-Dragon
This boy has been rapping since he was a toddler! Not only is he a good rapper, but his voice is just so unique. Like Dongwoo, I can't describe his voice because it's that unique, but even better, he writes and composes his own song, always adding his own flairs, thinking outside the box. Plus, I love rappers who can rap extremely fast. He is truly one of a kind.
8. T.O.P.
It's all about the voice, it's so deep! I love it! His rapping, is more rhythmic and more like talking compared to GD, but his voice is always an X-factor to look for in Big Bang songs. 
9. Yubin
Female rappers represent! I couldn't forget our female rappers. I love Yubin and her husky voice! She's a wonderful rapper (pun not intended) that adds either that sensual or swag factor to a song. 
10. CL
She's like the female-version of GD! Her rapping skills are amazing! It's no surprise that she made my list, because on several occasions she never ceases to amaze me with her strong stage presence, swag, and rapid fire raps! 
11. Zelo 
This dude has a lot of potential! I absolutely loved his part in Warrior! I loved his attitude, and if I had to pick the best rookie rapper of the year, Zelo would do it for me, and he's only fifteen! I look forward to what else he has to offer.
12. Amber
Amazing  vocals and epic raps with a lot of power. Nuff said. Her reputation precedes her; her raps are always powerful. Also, Amber is equal parts a good singer as she is a rapper. Sure, she's not a powerhouse like Luna, but her voice is clear and controlled, plus, I think, if given the chance, she might also have a wide range. While it's rare to find a rapper that also sings, but it is rarer still to find a rapper that is as good a rapper as he or she is a singer. 


These are just my personal opinions.

-A


*All credits including pictures, belong to their rightful owners**



No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall