Friday, March 30, 2012

Shut up Flower Boy Band Episode 15 Review

*Please note that this review has spoilers*
It's Friday! Thank goodness! This week went by really fast and now I'm rewarding myself with a day devoted to being a couch potato - err- rather a bed potato? Either way, I'm going to burn my corneas as I snuggle in bed with double stuffed Oreos as I watch none other than Shut Up Flower Boy Band!! I'm determined to play catch-up with all the episodes, but I'm also sad because this is the penultimate episode, the second to last!


Episode 15 felt short and straightforward, so this review most likely will be too. At the beginning, each member is shown gradually going back to their old lives. Kyung Jong is back in Busan stuck with his mom at the fish market. Do Il is confined at the pool hall. Ha Jin is taking acting classes and Ji Hyuk is loping about the city commiserating over his sad life, with the exception of Hyun Soo who is in the process of making his solo album, but even he isn't happy. In fact, nobody in this episode is happy. Su Ah wants to be alone, while Seung Hoon....well, he's Seung Hoon and he's pretty much doomed himself to be miserable for the rest of his life.
Haha
However; in any good story line there is that one episode, or that one scene in which there is a rising action that builds up to the climax of the story, and then we only have then to wait and see what happens in the end. This episode is is exactly that; it's just one big rising action. 
Mostly, I am so happy with the writers of this drama, because I can already see that they carefully planned this drama, and they don't intend to leave any strings untied. In this episode, Ji Hyuk confronts his past. And all this time I thought he was just born a brooding, moody, musician with an aptitude for making ramyun.  Out of the blue, here comes his mother! Like I said, no strings left untied. The trouble was the conversation was a  little bit hard to follow, because we, the viewers, have no background information about Ji Hyuk at all which leads to some inference. From what I can infer and I could be wrong, Ji Hyuk's mother abandoned him at a young age, because according to her, she "didn't want to pass on her poverty." Later on she marries a wealthy man, which explains why Ji Hyuk would have older brothers, but Ji Hyuk refuses to take his inheritance.So, naturally, he refuses his mother's offer to study music abroad etc. Nonetheless, I really appreciated this scene because part of knowing a character is knowing their background too, and nothing, so far, has left us wondering about the characters. Like peeling the layer of an onion, one by one, things are being revealed. 
What kind of mother is she?! 
As for the others, many big events happen to them too. Su Ah's father returns! Huzzah! Oh, but wait....he wants to move to China. China? Then Hae Ri spills the beans about Ji Hyuk letting Hyun Soo get a solo, to Hyun Soo himself. And she's not even drunk this time! Now, here's the kicker: Shil Ba tells the boys about a new opportunity to begin anew in Japan. The catch is, Hyun Soo has to join. Then the plot gets gets better and thicker.This brings up the one last major happening: Ji Hyuk. Apparently, Rock Kim gives Ji Hyuk a proposition to work with him! 
Someone doesn't know how to keep a secret.
Most dramas, heck, most movies are pretty predictable. It's obvious that the boys are gonna get back together and be successful, but it's all about the how. How does it all happen? So what happens now? Personally here's what I want to see: Ji Hyuk and Su Ah together, Do Il and Woo Kyung together, with some Ye Rim and Hyun Soo action. And it would be cruel of the writers to neglect Seung Hoon, so I predict he'll take over his sister's company, that is, if they do a fast forward to the future epilogue. The same goes for Woo Kyung; after everything she did for the boys, I expect her to be the official hairdresser of Eye Candy! I am also anticipating some Byung Hee! They started the band because of him, so I expect to see some sort of homage or some Byung Hee reference. Just something! Plus, I don't just want, but I expect to see Eye Candy on a rock concert stage, because that would be the perfect ending, what with all the boys together and only then can Tinker Bell swoop in and write Happily Ever After in pixie dust! So, excuse me as I grab a box of tissues and another pack of Oreos, because I'm gonna watch Shut Up Flower Boy Band's final episode. Aishhh....why does it have to end?!
Awww....the band is back!

-A




*All pictures and credits belong to their rightful owners*

No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall