Sunday, May 13, 2012

TaeTiSeo's Album Review



As much as I love SNSD, as a group, it's really refreshing to see the members in a different light. Overall, I'm satisfied with their album as a whole. I appreciate how Tiffany, Taeyeon, and Seohyun were able to go beyond their comfort zones and also experiment with new styles of music that made their album unique. Personally, not all of the songs stick with you like Gee, but it's definitely not an album with just filler songs. I think they took some time and effort to make an album that showcased their singing abilities.


1. TWINKLE (I'm reviewing the music video in another post)
Even before the song was released, I was hooked, because it really is catchy. It's got a funky and playful beat with a sprinkle of sass that's fun to sing (badly in my case) along to. I would also like to applaud the different types of instruments in the song, it had an almost jazzy feel. However; I have to comment on TaeTiSeo's voices. As a SONE, I think Taeyeon has a beauftiful voice, as does Seohyun and Tiffany, and Twinkle shows how much they have improved as singers individually. Having said that, I think Twinkle was a personal best for TaeTisSeo but I don't believe that they are the best singers in the K-Pop Industry. Don't get me wrong, I love this song and their voices as much as I love the music video (which is alot),  Lastly, I would like to comment on the lyrics of this song. Don't let the music video fool you! This song may look sassy, and confident but on the contrary, the lyrics are about a girl, who knows that she's pretty, and super duper amazing, yet she can't seem to garner attention from this one boy who acts indifferent. When I saw the first couple of lines, it seemed like they were bragging, alot, but then I was like wait a second.... all you want a boy's attention? Did not see that coming, so I was dissappointed with the lyrics, because I was expecting more girl empowerment.




2. BABY STEPS
A favorite of mine in their album, I love the melody and the piano accompaniment, but my favorite part is the chorous, where they sing "1, 2, 3, 4". It was very mellow, and I love how Taeyeon gets really into the song when she performs. I also noticed that Tiffany likes holding her face alot when she performs too. Anyway, I'm getting off track here.... back to the song! Baby Steps is different from their normal songs, very smooth like a pop ballad. and I like the change of pace.




3. OMG
If you've seen the Twinkle music video, OMG will sound really familiar. That's because you can hear OMG in the beginning the Twinkle mv. This has to be the most jazz band-esque song in the album. I guess you could call this a revamped version of a Chocolate Love and Hoot combination. I also like the tip toe tempo; it starts kind of bouncy in the beginning and then it ascends into the chorus. Plus, you'll love their deep whisper "Ohhhh myyyy gosssh". I feel like I should be snapping my fingers and wearing a dapper suit or something when I listen to this song, and because I love the 1920's I really wish they made a music video for this.




4. LIBRARY
Huzzah! A song for bookworms! Ok, just kidding. Not really. This song wasn't my favorite song in the album, but I didn't hate it either. This song transported me back to the time when I used to watch Lizzie McGuire and played Barbie games on the computer. Yeah, it's that kind of song. I can only think of pink and glitter when I listen to it. I like the sound of some of the verses, but I don't think I can listen to this song all the time, but, because I adore books as much as I do music I looked up the lyrics, because I mean it is called Library, so naturally it sparked some curiosity. I must say, even if the song sounds artificial, the lyrics are very clever! With lines like "My dictionary is filled up with you
Even with the little, trivial knowledge," and "On places I need to memorize, underline/On things I want to see again, bookmark/So that I can know you" I would listen to this song just because I know what the lyrics mean. It's all about how a girl wants to get to know her crush, boyfriend, or whoever more, even all the miscellaneous details, which I think is very cute! (So be sure to look up the lyrics!) This would make for a very good music video! 




5. GOOD BYE, HELLO
Ok,so we've reached my least favorite song in the album. I'm not a big fan of songs that sound like Christmas Songs. It reminds me too much of an oldies song that I can't put my finger on too. I suppose it's the doo whop beat and the piano that gives me an aversion to this song. Sigh, nonetheless, their voices sound very crisp, clear and controlled!




6. LOVE SICK
Another favorite of mine, I think this song is another vocal heavy song that ex TaeTiSeo's vocal abilites. Their voices are clear and controlled; nothing sounds strained and I like the layering of their voices. It's got that smooth and  almost R&B feel, which I love to hear! This is what I love about this album! It's full of various styles of songs! When I like a good song, I always find it hard to describe. So, just take my word for it! You won't be disapointed. 




7. CHECKMATE
The beginning sounds eerily of Super Junior or Shinee (your pick). I suggest waiting out till the chorus, though. Unfortunately, there are some parts of the song that sound like it came from a high school pep rally. Let me give you hint: there's a drum line, which is a big turn off for me personally. Not one of my favorites, but as I said before, it's not that bad, but it doesn't have the same effect as Love Sick, Twinkle, or Baby Steps. 




Conclusion? I like the album on a whole, and taking in consideration of their current wins, I think their the TaeTiSeo subgroup is a big success.  Mostly I love the variety in all of the songs, because they don't sound like they all belong to one genre, which tides over well with me.  I've already exhausted the subject, all I can say is I hope I can hear more from new SNSD subunits!(cough cough Sica) 


-A


*All credits belong to their rightful owners*

No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall