Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Hallyu Wave Travels to Japan Part III - 2ne1 Scream


Welcome to another post about none other than our favorite K-Pop groups and their original Japanese songs! Today, I'm serving up a dose of 2ne1, with their Japanese single Scream! Ahhh! Like always, 2ne1's music videos are always fresh and interesting. Scream was no different; the music video reflected the same, cool and quirky style of 2ne1 that we all know and love. 


Initially, I was a little- I guess the right word is surprised, at the beginning of the song. In terms of how it sounded, it didn't have that hook that most 2ne1 songs have, but I promise you that once you hear the songs a couple of times, you'll grow to love it, and your love affair begins when Minzy starts the song with her rap. It's really catchy and it almost sounds like the Black Eyed Peas. Then enters CL dancing on table tops with her rich voiced-rap portraying a regal image here. Then add in a dash of Dara's sweet vocals leading up to the chorus with of course, who else, but Bommie's powerful voice. Oh, and the chorus needs some getting used to. It's one of those songs that has stronger verses and weaker choruses in terms of melody. Nonetheless, the song still works for me. My favorite part was when Bom and CL harmonized, it sounded great!


Now, I have fervently searched for the English translation of this song in order to understand the music video, alas my search has proven fruitless. So I'm left pondering why deer heads adorn blue walls. Is it a madhouse that they're in? Is it Madame Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (Sigh, I miss that show)? Well, whatever it is, the setting was pretty cool, even if I'll never understand it.
While I may be confused about the actual meaning of the song, I did admire 2ne1's style. Mostly it was the hair.  I begin at the risk of sounding superficial, but here goes: I have always liked CL's hair straight; it's very mature, streamlined, and it fits her personality. Her crimped hair was also different; it was playful. Speaking of which, I also liked Bom with straight hair too, but I was delightfully satisfied with her curly hair, also matching the playful vibe, considering that I don't really like crimped hair. Lastly, thank goodness for Dara's hair. She finally ditched the pineapple hair. I don't mind the pineapple hair so much, but it's nice to see Dara with a more toned down hairstyle. She had her signature bun, but with bangs. She looked older and very pretty with that hairstyle.  Lastly, I've been having a complex about Minzy's hair color. All I'm gonna say is, that the mossy gray green yellowish isn't a color I would choose for Minzy, but I love Minzy anyway!


Overall, not a bad song, but I'm patiently waiting for their Korean comeback. I suppose I'll be listening to Scream in the meantime


-A


* All credits including pictures and videos belong to their rightful owners*

No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall