Monday, August 13, 2012

Not over You - Nu'est Music Video Review


Nu'est's debut song, Face, showed a lot of promise and potential, which now has made them a standout group in a long line of rookies. Based on their past songs, synths and dubsteps are their signature, thus proving that their introduction as an "Urban Electro" group true. Sticking to that image, Not Over You is, lack of a better word (and terminology), synth-y. It's lighter and more mellow unlike their preceding songs which, in comparison, had a harsher sound. Lucky for me, it's missing their usual dubstep break, which I've come to expect whenever I listen to Nu'est, so I was a bit surprised when I heard Not Over You, but I think we can all agree it's a good song. Despite how good the song is, I'm a bit afraid as to whether Not Over You is going to be on of those songs that drag on, since there isn't much of a climax, but I suppose that's left up to the individual listener. Personally, I think it would have been a nice touch if one of the vocalists really belted out a high note or something of that character. 

As for the music video, Nu'est did a 180 degree image change. The grunge, the leather, and the metallic were replaced with color, casual t-shirts, and high-five giving PUPPIES! Did I forget to mention that there's actual trees in this music video! They are actually communing with nature. This music video was a real visual relief from all the dimly lit, bizarre, black and white rooms that I'm accustomed to watching. They were smiling and having fun! I have missed these kind of music videos ever since Super Junior's No Other. Though, I am sad to say that there is something wrong with this music video. Are we forgetting that this is a melancholy, break up song? The song is titled Not Over You, but judging by this music video  you wouldn't think so. Actually, you could go as far to say that these guys are completely over their ex unless.... it's all a coverup! A facade of sorts! Maybe their just acting happy, but really deep down inside they're just burying their depression. But seriously, if you do happen to read the lyrics, it really is sad, and without watching the music video, the song does have a tinge of longing. While I miss these happy-go-lucky, outdoor, videos, I believe that the music video should reflect the song. This, however, does not mean that Nu'est is a bad group. On the contrary, I put them high on my rookie list, right up there next to B.A.P. While they may not be my favorite, they are definitely ones to keep an eye on. 

Other Afterthoughts:
-Nu'est looks like they're living and breathing anime characters! Or is that just me?
-Why is Ren shaving?
-K-pop idols should wear casual clothes more often in their music videos. 

-A

No comments

Post a Comment

© ramyun
Maira Gall